    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
    Larry McVoy wrote:
    > I think I'm going to give up soon (much to relief of the list) because I
    > keep getting the same sorts of answers which make sense from a small
    > custom shop point of view but are simply broken from a company point of
    > view.

    What's wrong with small business? Just because a model doesn't work for
    large companies doesn't invalidate the model. And I'm not convinced that
    the model fails on a larger scale.

    > Your model is fine, there is nothing wrong with it but there isn't a lot
    > right with it either. You can't really grow your business under that
    > model. Why? Because you are essentially a consulting shop and that
    > isn't going to generate the revenue you need to hire more people, build
    > more things, get more consulting. You can keep yourself going but not
    > make enough to get more people going.

    My business is growing; I've doubled revenues in the last year, and am
    building alliances with other small shops to handle larger tasks. The
    key, for me at least, is creating a baseline product that provides a
    foundation on which I build applications for clients. I'm working on two
    more baselines at the moment, while building a coalition to tackle
    larger jobs.

    > Instead of coming back at me with the premise of "well, I'm eating so my
    > model is OK" how about coming back with a plan that says "Here's how we
    > make an open source based business put Microsoft out of business". That's
    > reality. You are just playing around on the edges, there is nothing
    > wrong with that, but until you have a viable plan that competes with the
    > big boys let's stop kidding ourselves, ok?

    I'm not interested in playing with "the big boys", nor do I have a
    desire to "put Microsoft out of business.".

    I much prefer to play in the spaces that the big boys have no interest
    in. I can employ several people, have a very comfortable life, and work
    on projects that are far more interesting and important than replacing
    Microsoft. It is possible to build a quality life (and perhaps a
    society) from an economic model that is not founded on corporate

    Scott Robert Ladd
    Coyote Gulch Productions (
    Professional programming for science and engineering;
    Interesting and unusual bits of very free code.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.027 / U:107.716 seconds]