SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
Larry McVoy wrote:
> The one flaw in this argument and all of those which say basically "services
> is the answer" is that it only works if you produce crappy software which
> needs servicing.

Your definition of "services" is far too narrow. Requirements change
with time; ideal software today may be inadequate tomorrow. I make most
of my money from customizing software to a specific customer's needs. I
combine and refine existing components to produce unique software.

A case in point: My Java Indexed Serialization Package (JISP) provides a
very basic tool; about half my business comes from people who like the
Jisp concept, and need a custom version that is tightly coupled to their
requirements. I don't sell Jisp; I sell *what I can do* with Jisp.

--
Scott Robert Ladd
Professional programming for science and engineering;