    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
    Larry McVoy wrote:
    > The one flaw in this argument and all of those which say basically "services
    > is the answer" is that it only works if you produce crappy software which
    > needs servicing.

    Your definition of "services" is far too narrow. Requirements change
    with time; ideal software today may be inadequate tomorrow. I make most
    of my money from customizing software to a specific customer's needs. I
    combine and refine existing components to produce unique software.

    A case in point: My Java Indexed Serialization Package (JISP) provides a
    very basic tool; about half my business comes from people who like the
    Jisp concept, and need a custom version that is tightly coupled to their
    requirements. I don't sell Jisp; I sell *what I can do* with Jisp.

    --
    Scott Robert Ladd
    Professional programming for science and engineering;