    SubjectRe: common name for the kernel DSO
    Date
    Followup to:  <16112.47509.643668.116939@napali.hpl.hp.com>
    By author: David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Both x86 and ia64 now provide a dynamically shared object (DSO) for
    > system call purposes (e.g., to speed up system calls and for signal
    > trampoline/sigreturn purposes). At the moment, the names of these
    > DSOs are different:
    >
    > x86: linux-vsyscall.so.1
    > ia64: linux-gate.so.1
    >
    > I think there is some value in using the same name on all platforms
    > that support such a DSO. vsyscall makes no sense for ia64, since
    > there are no virtual syscalls (instead, ia64 linux provides a fast
    > system call convention which, when coupled with light-weight system
    > call handlers, provide full syscall semantics at more or less the
    > speed of virtual system calls).
    >
    > Not surprisingly, I like the name "linux-gate", since that is really
    > what this DSO is all about: it's a gateway between user and kernel
    > space. However, if this name isn't appropriate for x86, perhaps we
    > can find another name which will be acceptable to everybody.

    It's a pretty ugly name, quite frankly, since it doesn't explain what
    it is a gate from or to. linux-syscall.so.1 or linux-kernel.so.1
    would make a lot more sense.

    -hpa