    SubjectRe: common name for the kernel DSO
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: David Mosberger <>
    In newsgroup:
    > Both x86 and ia64 now provide a dynamically shared object (DSO) for
    > system call purposes (e.g., to speed up system calls and for signal
    > trampoline/sigreturn purposes). At the moment, the names of these
    > DSOs are different:
    > x86:
    > ia64:
    > I think there is some value in using the same name on all platforms
    > that support such a DSO. vsyscall makes no sense for ia64, since
    > there are no virtual syscalls (instead, ia64 linux provides a fast
    > system call convention which, when coupled with light-weight system
    > call handlers, provide full syscall semantics at more or less the
    > speed of virtual system calls).
    > Not surprisingly, I like the name "linux-gate", since that is really
    > what this DSO is all about: it's a gateway between user and kernel
    > space. However, if this name isn't appropriate for x86, perhaps we
    > can find another name which will be acceptable to everybody.

    It's a pretty ugly name, quite frankly, since it doesn't explain what
    it is a gate from or to. or
    would make a lot more sense.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.022 / U:10.200 seconds]