    SubjectTroll Tech [was RE: Sco vs. IBM]
    Date
    I'm no authority, but IMHO

    > In article <20030619141443.GR29247@fs.tum.de>,
    > Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
    > >There's no license reason today why there are two big
    > desktop projects
    > >(GNOME and KDE).
    >
    > There is. If you want to develop a commercial application under
    > KDE you need to pay TrollTech for the Qt license. Basically
    > TrollTech controls all commercial KDE applications.

    No, you don't, IFF you distribute the source code. Doesn't make
    a lot of sense though. So consider, a for-profit company licenses
    QT for a proprietary app. They send bug fixes/enhancements to QT
    to TrollTech. If these migrate to Free QT, you're ahead of the game.
    If they don't, what did you lose?

    > Which makes no sense. You're not at the mercy of Linus or the
    > kernel developers, neither at that of the KDE developers, but
    > TrollTech controls the KDE desktop wrt commercial apps.

    No, they don't. KDE uses the GPL for QT. If I build a commercial
    app using KDE, it is GPL. If I build a commercial app not using
    KDE, but using commercial QT, that has no effect on the KDE desktop.

    > What if TrollTech decides to only license (or sell) Qt
    > to, say, Microsoft? What does that mean for, say, the Kompany ?

    They can't. They released the code under GPL. They can stop maintaining
    that code, and continue on a proprietary track. If they did, what
    did you lose?

    In summary, QT -> GPL, GNOME - GPL, what about _that_ makes one or
    the other inherently preferable or better?

    P.S. for once I am in complete agreement with larry m. ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.023 / U:29.172 seconds]