    SubjectRe: How do I make this thing stop laging? Reboot? Sounds like Windows!
    Karl Vogel wrote:

    >On 18 Jun 2003, you wrote in linux.kernel:
    >

    >>rmoser wrote:
    >>[...]
    >>

    >>>Ten minutes later I get the brains to run top. It seems I have about
    >>>50 MB in swap, and 54 MB free memory. So I wait ten minutes more.
    >>>
    >>>No change.
    >>>
    >>>% swapoff -a; swapon -a
    >>>
    >>>Fixes all my problems.
    >>>
    >>>Now this long story shows something: The kernel appears to be unable
    >>>to intelligently pull swap back into RAM. What gives?
    >>>

    >>Because the problem _is_ unsolvable. You want the kernel
    >>to go "oh, lots of free memory showed up, lets pull
    >>everything in from swap just in case someone might need it."
    >>

    >You might want to try Con Kolivas' patches on:
    > http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

    Unfortunately he provided no information as to
    what kernel and/or distro he is running - for all
    we know he's running 2.4.9 - so the con man's
    patches probably won't apply.

    Joe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.021 / U:120.944 seconds]