SubjectRe: Problems with PCMCIA/Orinoco
On Tue, 2003-06-17 12:01:40 +0200, bvermeul@blackstar.nl <bvermeul@blackstar.nl>
wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0306171159470.1854-100000@blackstar.nl>:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Russell King wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:29:00AM +0200, bvermeul@blackstar.nl wrote:
> > > I'm having some problems with 2.5.71 (latest bk yesterday I believe).
> > > All works well (pcmcia works as advertised, with one tiny blip on
> > > the horizon), except when I want to reboot, when I get the following
> > > message:
> > >
> > > unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth1 to become free. Usage count = 1
> > >
> > > The net device is an Orinoco mini-pci card (eg, cardbus minipci interface
> > > with built-in orinoco card), and it is down.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what causes this, and it's started somewhere in 2.5.70 bk.
> >
> > I believe this is a netdevice problem and isn't anything to do with
> > PCMCIA or Cardbus. If the net people would like to confirm this, it'd
> > be most helpful.
>
> I'm also using a RTL8139 cardbus card, and that does not show this
> particular problem (works great actually).
> So I'm not so sure it is a netdevice problem. It may be a orinoco
> problem, but I'm not entirely sure what's causing it.
> Just wanted to see if anyone's noticed it as well, and if a fix was
> out there.

I'm not sure, but for what I *see* (using a PCMCIA NE2000 clone with my
Laptop) this problem occures by this:

- Insert your card (after "/etc/init.d/pcmcia-cs start" is done, that
card will be recognized and configured).
- shutdown your laptop. This involves "/etc/init.d/pcmcia-cs stop".
- _Later on_ (after the card should already have gone away because
you've just stopped the pcmcia subsystem), "/etc/init.d/networking
stop" tried to "ifconfig ethX down" the card - Bang.

The cardbus/hotplug stuff might be different here. I think this is
solely a problem of the pure PCMCIA stuff...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.040 / U:0.456 seconds]