    SubjectRe: Problems with PCMCIA/Orinoco
    On Tue, 2003-06-17 12:01:40 +0200, bvermeul@blackstar.nl <bvermeul@blackstar.nl>
    wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0306171159470.1854-100000@blackstar.nl>:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Russell King wrote:
    > > On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:29:00AM +0200, bvermeul@blackstar.nl wrote:
    > > > I'm having some problems with 2.5.71 (latest bk yesterday I believe).
    > > > All works well (pcmcia works as advertised, with one tiny blip on
    > > > the horizon), except when I want to reboot, when I get the following
    > > > message:
    > > >
    > > > unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth1 to become free. Usage count = 1
    > > >
    > > > The net device is an Orinoco mini-pci card (eg, cardbus minipci interface
    > > > with built-in orinoco card), and it is down.
    > > >
    > > > I'm not sure what causes this, and it's started somewhere in 2.5.70 bk.
    > >
    > > I believe this is a netdevice problem and isn't anything to do with
    > > PCMCIA or Cardbus. If the net people would like to confirm this, it'd
    > > be most helpful.
    >
    > I'm also using a RTL8139 cardbus card, and that does not show this
    > particular problem (works great actually).
    > So I'm not so sure it is a netdevice problem. It may be a orinoco
    > problem, but I'm not entirely sure what's causing it.
    > Just wanted to see if anyone's noticed it as well, and if a fix was
    > out there.

    I'm not sure, but for what I *see* (using a PCMCIA NE2000 clone with my
    Laptop) this problem occures by this:

    - Insert your card (after "/etc/init.d/pcmcia-cs start" is done, that
    card will be recognized and configured).
    - shutdown your laptop. This involves "/etc/init.d/pcmcia-cs stop".
    - _Later on_ (after the card should already have gone away because
    you've just stopped the pcmcia subsystem), "/etc/init.d/networking
    stop" tried to "ifconfig ethX down" the card - Bang.

    The cardbus/hotplug stuff might be different here. I think this is
    solely a problem of the pure PCMCIA stuff...

    MfG, JBG

    --
    Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481
    "Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.031 / U:60.712 seconds]