SubjectRe: New struct sock_common breaks parisc 64 bit compiles with a misalignment
"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> writes:

> From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com>
> Date: 15 Jun 2003 10:17:10 -0500
>
> It's not necessary and would, indeed, be detrimental to operation since
> we'd generate alignment traps on almost every encapsulated protocol (at
> several hundred instructions per trap). If we do this, our network
> performance will tank.
>
> It doesn't happen for all the normal cases, but it does for
> things like IP in appletalk and stuff like that.

It can be remotely triggered in ordinary TCP. Just add an odd number of nops
before a TCP timestamp to misalign it.

In short any linux parisc64 box on the net is very likely remotely
panicable.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.014 / U:0.760 seconds]