    Subjectlimit resident memory size
    Hi,

    I would like to limit the maximum resident memory size
    of a process within a threshold, i.e. if its virtual
    memory footprint exceeds this threshold, it needs to
    swap out pages *only* from within its VM space.

    First, is there a way this can be done at application
    level ? The setrlimit interface seems to contain an
    option for specifying max resident set size, but it
    doesnt seem like it is implemented as of 2.4 -- am I
    wrong ?

    If the kernel doesnt currently support it, is there an
    efficient way (data structure etc) to traverse the
    resident set of a *process* in lru fashion ? All the
    page replacement and swapping code work on the entire
    page lists -- is there any simple way to group these
    per process ?

    thanks for any pointers,
    Muthian.