SubjectRe: Compiling kernel with SuSE 8.2/gcc 3.3
Steve French <smfrench@austin.rr.com> writes:

|> I also noticed lots of compiler warnings with gcc 3.3, now default in
|> SuSE, and cleaned up most of them for the cifs vfs but there are a few
|> that just
|> look wrong for gcc to spit out warnings on. For example the following
|> local variable definition and the similar ones in the same file
|> (fs/cifs/inode.c):
|>
|> __u64 uid = 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF;
|>
|> generates a warning saying the value is too long for a long on x86 SuSE
|> 8.2 with gcc 3.3 - which makes no sense. Any value
|> above 0xFFFFFFFFF generates the same warning (intuitively
|> 36 bits should fit in an unsigned 64 bit local variable).

An expression is evaluated independent of the context, ie. the fact that
the left side of the assignment is a 64 bit variable has no significance
at all. But I agree that the warning should only occur in c89 mode, not
in the default gnu89 mode, where long long is available. And in fact the
generated code will be correct.

|> Defining the literal with the UL suffix didn't seem to help

Yes, since you need a long long literal.

|> rebelled against the solutions that work for this case ie casting the
|> local variable which is already __u64 to __u64 but that presumably would
|> work for those three, as would a (__u64)cast of -1 which seems equally
|> ugly).

You can just use -1. The implicit conversion to __u64 will DTRT.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg
Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5