    SubjectRe: Wrong number of cpus detected/reported wrote:
    > Steven Cole writes:

    > > > The ht flag means the ht facilities (mtrr etc) are present, doesnt mean
    > > > HT necessarily is
    > >
    > > Is there a reliable method, apart from knowing 'a priori' the mapping
    > > from CPU models and stepping to hyperthreading capability?
    > Yes. Execute cpuid with eax=1 on each CPU. ebx describes among other things
    > the number of threads and which thread you're on. If you ever find yourself
    > on a non-zero thread, you have HT.

    I presume, however, that to get into a non-zero thread, you have to turn
    HT on. That is, when the machine first powers up, there is nothing for
    the second thread to execute, so it's turned off. (I'm assuming
    something similar for SMP boxes.) So, the real question should be,
    before you attempt to turn on HT, how do you find out whether or you CAN
    turn on HT.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.020 / U:0.872 seconds]