SubjectRe: Wrong number of cpus detected/reported
John Appleby wrote:

>>After the upgrade the system is reporting that the machine has 8 cpu
>>instead of 4. I have been looking for some kind of information on the
>>Internet (www.google.com/linux) about that but I didn't have success.
>>

>I suspect that it is identifying 4 Xeon CPUs with Hyperthreading, which
>will correctly double the amount of processors your kernel thinks you
>have. Intel's Hyperthreading
>
>This ought to be a good thing... the only thing I don't quite understand
>is that I thought Hyperthreading was added in 2.4.17.

Red Hat enabled basic hyperthreading support in their 2.4.9 eratta
kernels some where along the line. I just didn't think 1.4 Xeons did
HT. (Maybe the MP Xeons are different from the DP xeons.)

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.