    Edgar Toernig wrote:

    > Anyway, what's so bad about the idea someone (Linus?) suggested?
    > Without MAP_FIXED the address given to mmap is already taken as a
    > hint where to start looking for free memory.

    The kernel fortunately already defines some semantics to using a
    non-NULL first parameter without MAP_FIXED. It means: I prefer
    *exactly* this address. If it's not available, give me anything else.
    This is used and needed, for instance, when loading prelinked DSOs.

    Now you want to give this another semantics. It would need at least one
    more MAP_* flag.

    Anyway, I don't care what the solution looks like. Changing existing
    semantics should be out, that's the only requirement. Since I don't
    plan on doing the work I have nothing to decide.

    - --
    - --------------. ,-. 444 Castro Street
    Ulrich Drepper \ ,-----------------' \ Mountain View, CA 94041 USA
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.025 / U:2.916 seconds]