    SubjectRe: The disappearing sys_call_table export.
    On 7 May 2003, petter wahlman wrote:

    > It seems like nobody belives that there are any technically valid
    > reasons for hooking system calls, but how should e.g anti virus
    > on-access scanners intercept syscalls?
    > Preloading libraries, ptracing init, patching g/libc, etc. are
    > obviously not the way to go.

    Well, for a system wide system call hook, a kernel mechanism is necessary
    (and useful too IMHO). However for our usage (MPI) it is enough to know
    when the current process calls either sbrk(-n) or munmap glibc functions,
    thus it is sufficient to implement some kind of callback functionality for
    certain glibc functions, sort of like the malloc/free hooks but on a more
    general basis since some applications doesn't use malloc/free but
    implement their own alloc/free algorithms using the syscalls (one example
    is f90 apps).

    Ideas anyone ?

    Steffen Persvold | Scali AS |
    Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 | Olaf Helsets vei 6
    Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 | N0621 Oslo, NORWAY

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.025 / U:11.404 seconds]