    SubjectRe: Using GPL'd Linux drivers with non-GPL, binary-only kernel
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > > What if this new-fangled other kernel is open source, but BSD license
    > > instead? Would that also anger the kernel developers? (As I suspect
    > > a closed-source binary kernel would, even if one could get away with it).
    > Then the combined result would be a GPL'd product. You can do that now.
    > Add BSD code to GPL and the result comes out GPL.

    I disagree - as Pavel said, "if it's running in your kernel's
    userspace", the GPL applies only to the thing running in that
    "userspace", not to the whole combined machine.

    > > Then, you can (a) rewrite everything, using the knowledge you gained
    > > from reading the various open source drivers, or (b) just use those
    > > drivers, and save a lot of effort.
    > The GPL says "you can use them if your final new result is GPL", the BSD
    > world says "Hey go do it, just say thanks". Its probably a lot simpler
    > to use the FreeBSD code if you don't want a GPL result.

    I understand the licensing in unambiguous causes, and I'm not trying
    to find loopholes in awkward corners. I'm just observing that, as
    closed-source binary modules are de facto accepted (with some funky
    rules about which interfaces they can use), the same in reverse
    _ought_ to be accepted to the same degree: Linux (and other) GPL'd
    modules as satellites around a non-GPL kernel.

    > For myself I'd be willing to discuss relicensing code in some cases but
    > there is little that has a single author.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.021 / U:43.572 seconds]