    SubjectRe: Using GPL'd Linux drivers with non-GPL, binary-only kernel
    > What if this new-fangled other kernel is open source, but BSD license
    > instead? Would that also anger the kernel developers? (As I suspect
    > a closed-source binary kernel would, even if one could get away with it).

    Then the combined result would be a GPL'd product. You can do that now.
    Add BSD code to GPL and the result comes out GPL.

    > Then, you can (a) rewrite everything, using the knowledge you gained
    > from reading the various open source drivers, or (b) just use those
    > drivers, and save a lot of effort.

    The GPL says "you can use them if your final new result is GPL", the BSD
    world says "Hey go do it, just say thanks". Its probably a lot simpler
    to use the FreeBSD code if you don't want a GPL result.

    For myself I'd be willing to discuss relicensing code in some cases but
    there is little that has a single author.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.021 / U:34.068 seconds]