    SubjectRe: Files truncate on vfat filesystem
    Peder Stray <peder@ifi.uio.no> writes:

    > > What partition size do you use? And does that FAT use what logical
    > > sector size? The directory entry pointer may be overflowed...
    >
    > 250GB partition, FAT32 LBA (partition type 0x0c i think).
    >
    > The problem is verry inconsistent as i said earlier, so the number of
    > files in a directory doesn't seem to matter, nor do the depth in the
    > directory structure. Some files i manage to copy yo the disk, some files i
    > don't... I havent managed to find any pattern in what files this affects.

    I meant, "directory entry pointer" is position of the directory entry
    in the _partition_. like the following,

    in fs/fat/misc.c:fat__get_entry()

    offset &= sb->s_blocksize - 1;
    *de = (struct msdos_dir_entry *) ((*bh)->b_data + offset);
    *ino = (sector << sbi->dir_per_block_bits) + (offset >> MSDOS_DIR_BITS);
    ^^^

    This is used for _updates_ (not create) of the directory entry. And
    there is a possibility of cause of the problem which you said. If my
    guess is right and a partition will be splited small, a problem will
    not occur.

    In short, I think it's the bug of fat driver and it's needed the fix.
    --
    OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>