SubjectRe: about bios

> What you do in the BIOS does not only disable the BIOS calls for the
> floppy controller, it turns it completely off in the chipset (software
> disconnect) so it is never accessed with the IO access, and therefore is
> not detected.
>
> It would probably be possible to turn it on again in floppy.c, but it
> would be chipset dependent how to do it.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

So can we say that, during initialization, setup.s pushes some bios info
to the memory, and then after entering protected mode in i386, it pops
these information and sets kernel depending on it. Because of absence of
FDC controller info at this data area linux does not recognize FDC. However,

I can turn it on still usin IO ports and using in, out assembly instructions.

what i mention above for sure is not correct, however, is the procedure something like that?

thank you..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.344 / U:0.092 seconds]