    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.21-rc6
    Hi Marc.

    > I just had mutt > freeze cold on me though for ~15 sec when
    > it tried to open my debian-devel mbox (rather large file)
    > while brag was beating on the drive.
    > <whimper>

    I used to get the same effect when I asked pine to open the
    Linux-Kernel mailbox on my system. I long since cured that by
    having procmail split Linux-Kernel mail into multiple mailboxes,
    one for each calendar week.

    The basic problem there is that any mail client needs to know
    just how many messages are in a particular folder to handle that
    folder, and the only way to do this is to count them all. That's
    what takes the time when one opens a large folder.

    Best wishes from Riley.
    * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.

    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.020 / U:2.208 seconds]