    SubjectWimMark I report for 2.5.70-mm1
    WimMark I report for 2.5.70-mm1

    Runs (deadline): 717.27 1064.57 1089.13
    Runs (anticipatory): 1342.93 1121.47 1330.42

    WimMark I is a rough benchmark we have been running
    here at Oracle against various kernels. Each run tests an OLTP
    workload on the Oracle database with somewhat restrictive memory
    conditions. This reduces in-memory buffering of data, allowing for
    more I/O. The I/O is read and sync write, random and seek-laden. The
    runs all do ramp-up work to populate caches and the like.
    The benchmark is called "WimMark I" because it has no
    official standing and is only a relative benchmark useful for comparing
    kernel changes. The benchmark is normalized an arbitrary kernel, which
    scores 1000.0. All other numbers are relative to this. A bigger number
    is a better number. All things being equal, a delta <50 is close to
    unimportant, and a delta < 20 is very identical.
    This benchmark is sensitive to random system events. I run
    three runs because of this. If two runs are nearly identical and the
    remaining run is way off, that run should probably be ignored (it is
    often a low number, signifying that something on the system impacted
    the benchmark).
    The machine in question is a 4 way 700 MHz Xeon machine with 2GB
    of RAM. CONFIG_HIGHMEM4GB is selected. The disk accessed for data is a
    10K RPM U2W SCSI of similar vintage. The data files are living on an
    ext3 filesystem. Unless mentioned, all runs are
    on this machine (variation in hardware would indeed change the
    benchmark).
    WimMark I run results are archived at
    http://oss.oracle.com/~jlbec/wimmark/wimmark_I.html

    --

    "Reader, suppose you were and idiot. And suppose you were a member of
    Congress. But I repeat myself."

    Joel Becker
    Senior Member of Technical Staff
    Oracle Corporation
    E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
    Phone: (650) 506-8127

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:3.399 / U:0.020 seconds]