    SubjectRe: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...
    On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:24:22PM +0200, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:
    > I try to backport BIO and then AS for quite over 2 weeks now, but it seems, at
    > least for me, that it's an impossible mission ;(

    bio breaks all drivers, not a good idea to backport ;)

    note that the anticipatory scheduler generates very bad results with the
    winmark. it certainly has merits but it has large downsides too.

    I would be also curious if you could compare anticipatory with CFQ. The
    CFQ was designed to provide the highest possible degree of fariness.

    > > I'll try to find what's the precise reason of the interactivity drop
    > cool. Thanks.
    >
    > > with the 2.4.18->2.4.19 blkdev changes on Thu. I think I shortly looked
    > > into it once but there was no definitive answer, or anyways going back
    > > to the 2.4.18 code didn't appeal or make much sense.
    > Yeah, that's not an option. The throughput has been increased in 2.4.19
    > compared to 2.4.18.

    agreed.

    > > However I suspect this responsiveness issue could be storage hardware
    > > dependent.
    > Hmm, I am quite sure that it isn't. I have ton's of mostly totally different
    > hardware in my company, also test machines for WOLK at freenet.de (the
    > biggest I had was a QUAD Xeon 1GHz with 16GB memory and hardware RAID (Compaq
    > ML570 to be exact (f*cking nice machine btw. ;) and I even hit it on that
    > machine. Friends of mine having also different hardware then me, also hitting
    > that bug. _If_ it's the case of storage hardware, then many storage hardware
    > is affected ;)

    ;)

    > > The sentence by Linus in the last few days while talking with Jens,
    > > about storage that reorders stuff and starve requests at the two ends of
    > > the platter was very scary, maybe you're really bitten by something like
    > > that. Linux does the right thing but your hardware keeps posting stuff
    > > under the os and mine doesn't.
    > Oh, did I miss something at lkml or was it privately?

    I read it on l-k yesterday a few days ago, search emails from Linus with
    Jens somewhere in CC and you should find it.

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.024 / U:0.980 seconds]