SubjectRe: APIC on Dell Laptops - WAS: Re: [RFC] Fix NMI watchdog documentation
On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 14:38, mikpe@csd.uu.se wrote:
> Disconnect writes:
> > Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
> > Found and enabled local APIC!
> >
> > And now /proc/cpuinfo and cpuid both show APIC support.
> >
> > Removed/replaced power, triggered lid-switch/battery-status/etc with no
> > issues. (The only thing that caused trouble was Fn-F10, the "eject cd"
> > button. Never tried it under Linux before, and the cd isn't in it at
> > the moment anyway, so I'm betting thats unrelated. But it did cause a
> > lockup that even sysrq couldn't recover.)
>
> Nice.

..and it gets better. Not sure what the exact problem is (updated DRM, X
etc) but Fn-F8 (CRT/LCD) hardlocks. With the no-APIC kernel (same new
DRM and so forth) it just hesitates (not sure if it works or not,
haven't got a monitor handy.) It worked (or at least didn't lock up)
when I initially tried it, but now I can reproduce it well before X
comes up.

Looks like it should be dropped from the whitelist :( (To recap, this
is the Inspiron 8500 w/ A02 bios)

--
Disconnect <lkml@sigkill.net>