    SubjectRe: 2.4.20: Proccess stuck in __lock_page ...
    On Tuesday 27 May 2003 20:25, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    Hi Andrea,

    > not exactly decreases I/O throughput, the latest I/O benchmarks I seen
    it decreases performance. I've seen this, Con also saw this (well it's better
    than the 'nr_requests = 4' change ;) but mouse stops are still there.

    > from Randy (dbench/tiotest/bonnie/etc..) were still the fastest and it
    > included the lowlatency elevator patch. So it may not help latency but
    > it doesn't hurt in the numbers, at least not in the high end (that in
    > theory is the one that needs the overkill length in the I/O queue most).
    I agree with the last sentence, in theory, but practice showed something
    different (about 10% to 15% performance decrease)

    But I am quite sure that this depends on your machine/hardware. Using IDE
    instead of SCSI for example.

    > However it definitely helps latency for me and I had a number of
    > positive reports.
    It helps but it's not as good as 2.4.18 stock.

    > Also make sure that you elvtune -r 0 -w 0 /dev/hda, also the journaling
    I also tried that.

    > may affect the latency so you can try with plain ext2 to be sure it's
    > not a fs issue.
    Sure, I did this too. FS independent, where ReiserFS is still the best for
    this scenario with the most few pauses than any other FS (ext2, ext3, ...)

    But for desktop usage: not acceptable! No way, No go!

    > the lowlatency elevator patch may not be perfect but it definitely seems
    > to work better here. especially since there's no apparent throughput
    > loss, it makes lots of sense to keep it applied, or it would waste lots
    > of ram for apparently no gain.
    hehe, well wasting RAM for no gain is my next part on my todo ;) (cache
    everything even if there is no RAM for example, well but this is not the
    point in this thread)

    ciao, Marc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.040 / U:2.016 seconds]