    SubjectRe: "Latitude with broken BIOS" ?
    Yes acpi=off solved the APM problem.
    I am able to suspend my laptop again!
    In Mandrake Control Center, in the Lilo parameter options the acpi=off or
    acpi=on is prepared! There is a second option which can be set: "noapic".
    There is no other option.
    But by default, it was acpi=on and apic.

    Thanks a lot!
    Nicolas Brouard
    Le Vendredi 23 Mai 2003 11:02, a écrit :
    > Brouard Nicolas writes:
    > > I am not well aware of what APIC is but I was running Mandrake 8.2 on my
    > > Linux partition of a Dell Pentium III latitude 550 MHz and I don't
    > > remember such a dmesg message. But when I upgraded to Mandrake 9.1 here
    > > it is. The problem I have is that I can't have any suspend mode any more
    > > neither battery indicators and /etc/rc.d/init.d/apm start claims that
    > > apm is no more in the kernel. Is it linked to that APIC problem and this
    > > BIOS problem, why did it work earlier? Do you think that if I found a
    > > new bios from Dell it will help?
    > The "$machine with broken BIOS detected, refusing to enable the local APIC"
    > message only affects the local APIC and the few services using it like the
    > NMI watchdog and some performance measurement/profiling tools.
    > It has no impact on whether APM works or not.
    > Possibly Mandrake 9.1 detects ACPI (not APIC) which would disable APM.
    > Try booting with "noacpi" or "acpi=off" or whatever the option is called.

    Nicolas Brouard

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.023 / U:7.916 seconds]