SubjectRe: try_then_request_module
Hi Riley,

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 07:50:02PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> > int module_loaded_flag=0;

Tell that we don't know, whether the module is loaded
> > retry_with_module_loaded:
> >
> > /* search code */

Do the search.

> > if (!module_loaded_flag && !found) {

Test, whether we did not yet explicitly load the module and not
found the entry either.

> > module_loaded_flag=1;

Tell that we loaded it (if we cannot load it, then we fall
through).

> > if (!request_module(bla))
> > goto retry_with_module_loaded;

Restart search after successful module load.

> > }
> > return found;

> Out of curiosity, what exactly is the purpose of the goto in the
> above code? Since we set module_loaded_flag just prior to it, the
> first if statement must fail after the goto, so we just fall down
> to where we would have been without the goto.

That is intended. I just reuse the search code here instead of
duplicating it.

Since I load the module to broaden my search range, I can also
try to load the module there. Without module support this goto
will never execute and most of that code there compiled away.

That's why I consider try_then_request_module() not needed.
But people seem to have big problems with using gotos and still
reading the code (although it's quite common in the kernel), so
try_then_request_module() might solve this *social* problem ;-)

Regards

Ingo Oeser

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.208 / U:0.052 seconds]