    SubjectRe: [patch] futex requeueing feature, futex-requeue-2.5.69-D3
    Hi,

    On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:56:27AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 08:27:03AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > yes, but the damage has been done already, and now we've got to start the
    > > slow wait for the old syscall to flush out of our tree.
    >
    > Actually it should go away before 2.6.0. sys_futex never was part of a
    > released stable kernel so having the old_ version around is silly. I
    > Think it's enough time until 2.6 hits the roads for people to have those
    > vendor libc flushed out that use it. (and sys_futex still isn't used
    > in the glibc CVS, only in the addon nptl package with pre-1 release
    > numbers.)

    This sounds reasonable. The people who shipped that already to
    customers have so heavily patched kernels, that this simple patch
    for the old sys_futex shouldn't really matter.

    But cluttering the kernel with an API/ABI that was born in the
    same development cycle, where it has been obsoleted sounds not
    worth the bytes it consumes. And so we have a syscall slot
    available for the next development cycle.

    Or did anybody promise that this was final already? Usally this
    promise comes with x.even.y not with x.odd.y .

    Regards

    Ingo Oeser

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans