    SubjectRe: encrypted swap [was: The disappearing sys_call_table export.]

    On Wed, 14 May 2003, Yoav Weiss wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 May 2003, Ahmed Masud wrote:
    >

    > > 3. A slightly more sophisticated timeout framework should be created with
    > > the ability to enforce expiry or request expiry extensions (upto some type
    > > of a system hard limit?) on a per page.
    > >

    > Why is this one needed ?

    Well we definitely need a way to timeout keys. The other reason is to be
    able to "change your mind" about it while the key is being used. This may
    not be a useful thing for now but think of encrypted swaps on the
    infamous: oopsies-i-tripped-over-a-wire-and-disconnected-network-file-system

    Here we have a situation where we want to not have an expired key with
    valid data hanging out there.

    Or are we saying that expiration only affects encryption and that the
    decryption counterpart sticks around until its reference count goes to
    zero? On the surface this seems to be easier, although not sure if it
    makes us miss any situation.

    Cheers,

    Ahmed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.021 / U:61.552 seconds]