    SubjectRe: Race between vmtruncate and mapped areas?

    On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:00:08PM -0500, Dave McCracken wrote:
    > Actually it does fix it. I added code in vmtruncate_list() to do a
    > down_write(&vma->vm_mm->mmap_sem) around the zap_page_range(), and the
    > problem went away. It serializes against any outstanding page faults on a
    > particular page table. New faults will see that the page is no longer in
    > the file and fail with SIGBUS. Andrew's test case stopped failing.
    > I've attached the patch so you can see what I did.
    > Can anyone think of any gotchas to this solution?

    Okay, what's stopping filemap_nopage() from fetching the page from
    pagecache after one of the mm->mmap_sem's is dropped but before
    truncate_inode_pages() removes the page? The fault path is only locked
    out for one mm during one part of the operation. I can see taking
    ->i_sem in do_no_page() fixing it, but not ->mmap_sem in vmtruncate()
    (but of course that's _far_ too heavy-handed to merge at all).

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.021 / U:2.132 seconds]