SubjectRe: 2.5.69 Interrupt Latency
On 13 May 2003, Paul Fulghum wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 10:26, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > Putting in a sanity check for the global suspend state will be very easy.
> > But I would like to point out that this "global suspend" does not refer to
> > the entire system, only the USB bus.
>
> That is a problem then, because the delay can still
> occur during normal system operation.
>
> > I'm not sure under what
> > circumstances the bus is placed in global suspend; I think it's just when
> > there are no devices attached (or the last remaining device is detached).
> >
> > However, there have been cases on my own system where turning off the only
> > USB peripheral caused the driver to bounce between suspend_hc() and
> > wakeup_hc() several times without any apparent explanation -- possibly as
> > a result of transient electrical signals on the bus (?). So perhaps
> > moving that delay out of the ISR isn't such a bad idea.
>
> Agreed. If this can happen on functional USB controllers
> when no devices are attached, then it is a serious problem.

Instead of trying to guess when to do it, could the sleep be replaced by
setting a flag bit to indicate that a sleep was needed before using the
hardware? Then the sleep could be done when needed but no noise on the USB
bus wouldn't hurt.

1 - there may be many places, I thought of that but didn't look
since someone will tell me if it's a problem.

2 - if you don't use USB why not just take the driver out?

It would be nice to prevent the problem, of course.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc