    SubjectRe: 2.5.69 strange high tone on DELL Inspiron 8100
    On Sat, 10 May 2003 17:25:27 +0100
    Jamie Lokier <> wrote:

    > Tuncer M zayamut Ayaz wrote:
    > > what I found out right now is that when there is
    > > load (moving mailer windows around) the sound
    > > is gone and reappears if there's no load aka
    > > I stop moving mailer window (while typing this mail).
    > That's the opposite of my Toshiba in any of the lower power modes.
    > When there's CPU activity, it emits a quiet high-pitched noise. When
    > CPU activity stops, the noise stops. This doesn't happen in the
    > maximum power usage mode (brigh screen, fastest clock), and I don't
    > know if there's a way to turn it off.

    1) with SpeedStep enabled in BIOS and also enabled with software
    switching to full-speed mode turn down the volum a bit.

    2) disabled SpeedStep in BIOS. init-scripts enabled speed step
    same behaviour as in 1)

    funny side is that prior to booting 2.5 on the LILO prompt
    I listened and would bet that the same noise but very very
    quietly was still there.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.020 / U:1.376 seconds]