    SubjectRe: PATCH: MTRR save and restore.
    Hi!

    [I added l-k to the cc list].

    > > > We could add it to suspend scripts, but wouldn't mtrrs fit into the
    > > > driver model idea? Would you say the same thing about implementing S3
    > > > support?
    > >
    > > I think going through the driver model is the right thing to
    > > do.
    >
    > It's useless bloat.
    >
    > > Userspace should not need to know about mtrrs,
    >
    > It's a swsuspend helper daemon, not some random application. There
    > *should* be a helper daemon, if not, the design is flawed.

    There's no helper daemon, nor I plan to make one. Notice that mtrr
    stuff is shared between S3 (== suspend to ram) and swsusp. Both S3 and
    swsusp can be used to do some pretty important stuff (machine
    overheats or battery critically low -> suspend somewhere), so I do not
    think userland daemon is good idea.

    It can be dependend on CONFIG_PM; if you still think that's too much
    bloat, it could be dependend on CONFIG_SLEEP which could be only
    compiled when S3 or swsusp is selected (but I feel that would be
    overdesign).

    Pavel
    --
    When do you have heart between your knees?