    SubjectRe: Serial port over TCP/IP
    * Michael Buesch ( wrote:
    > Hi.
    > Is it possible to make a char-dev (a serial device ttyS0)
    > available via TCP/IP on a network like it is possible
    > for block-devices like a harddisk via nbd?
    > Is kernel-support for this present?
    > If not, is it technically possible to develop such a driver?

    I keep thinking that it would be nice to have a mechanism for user space
    char devices; it would have to have a mechanism to pass all the ioctls
    to the process that dealt with it.

    (The particular cases which sparked this idea for me were to do user
    space SCSI tape drivers to do raid tape and the like, and for emulation
    of touch screens or mice on systems that only had the other.).

    ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
    / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
    \ gro.gilbert @ | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.021 / U:5.960 seconds]