lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2003]   [Apr]   [5]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: objrmap and vmtruncate
Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 04:06:14AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Andrew Morton <akpm@digeo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Nobody has written an "exploit" for this yet, but it's there.
> >
> > Here we go. The test app is called `rmap-test'. It is in ext3 CVS. See
> >
> > http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/
> >
> > It sets up N MAP_SHARED VMA's and N tasks touching them in various access
> > patterns.
>
> I'm not questioning during paging rmap is more efficient than objrmap,
> but your argument about rmap having lower complexity of objrmap and that
> rmap is needed is wrong. The fact is that with your 100 mappings per
> each of the 100 tasks case, both algorithms works in O(N) where N is
> the number of the pagetables mapping the page.

Nope. To unmap a page, full rmap has to scan 100 pte_chain slots, which is 3
cachelines worth. objrmap has to scan 10,000 vma's, 9,900 of which do not map
that page at all.

(Actually, there's a recent optimisation in objrmap which will on average
halve these figures).

> And objrmap can't avoided, it's needed for the truncate semantics
> against mmap.

What do you mean by this? vmtruncate continues to use the 2.4 algorithm for
that.

> Check all other important benchmarks not testing the paging load like
> page faults, kernel compile from Martin, fork, AIM etc... Those are IMHO
> an order of magnitude of more interest than your rmap-test paging load
> with some hundred thousand of vmas.

Andrea, I whine about rmap as much as anyone ;) I'm the guy who halved both
its speed and space overhead shortly after it was merged.

But the fact is that it is not completely useless overhead. It provides a
very robust VM which is stable and predictable under extreme and unusual
loads. That is valuable.

Yes, rmap adds a few% speed overhead - up to 10% for things which are
admittedly already very inefficient.

objrmap will reclaim a lot of that common-case overhead. But the cost of
that is apparently unviability for certain workloads on certain machines.
Once you hit 100k VMA's it's time to find a new operating system.

Maybe that is a tradeoff we want to make. I'm adding some balance here.

The space consumption of rmap is a much more serious problem than the speed
overhead. It makes some workloads on huge ia32 machines unviable.


Me, I have never seen any evidence that we need any of it. I have never seen
a demonstration of the alleged failure modes of 2.4's virtual scan. But then
I haven't tried very hard.

The extreme stability and scalability of full rmap is good. The space
consumption on highmem is bad. The CPU cost is much less important than
these things.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.087 / U:1.008 seconds]
©2003-2018 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site