SubjectRe: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]

On 30-Apr-2003 Larry McVoy wrote:
> Your post shows that you think that the reaction is bad and you even say
> that the reaction is likely. You vigourously disagree with my conclusions
> as to why the reaction is happening, I see that. OK, so let's try it
> with a question rather than a statement: why are things like the DMCA and
> DRM happening? It isn't the open source guys pushing those, obviously,
> it's the corporations. So why are they doing it?

IMHO, no dubt piracy is what caused the reaction. But it's not a direct
cause. They always wanted things like DRM. The stronger is the control
over your customers, the more money you get from them. Piracy is a very
good excuse, but even without piracy it was only a matter of time. The
distance between who can and who cannot, is contantly increasing. It's
the age we are living :(

Bye.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.114 / U:0.276 seconds]