    SubjectRe: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]
    On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:20:41AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > My point wasn't about theft, it was about reimplementation.
    > I stand behind that point, what I've seen for more than a decade is
    > reimplementation after reimplementation. I'm not saying there is no
    > value to that or that it is illegal or that there are no improvements
    > (compare Unix diff to GNU diff if you want to see some imrovements).
    > There is tons of value in having free versions of useful tools.
    > There is also tons of value in the creation of new work.
    > What I haven't seen is a lot of revolutionary work. All of that seems
    > to come from commercial companies and at a pretty slow pace. There are
    > a lot of false starts, commercial failures, whatever. But a few slam
    > dunks as well.

    Mosaic was pretty revolutionary for it's time.. as was Sendmail..
    source was available for both from the start.

    -- "It's a big world and you can hit it with any airplane."
    -- Flying, August 2000, Page 90.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.018 / U:3.952 seconds]