    SubjectRe: I compiled the kernel but it doesn't do any thing, its a bit like typing "halt
    On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:38:47 John Bradford wrote:
    > init=/bin/sh is already defined in init/main.c isn't
    > it?
    >Once the kernel has booted, it usually passed control to init. The
    >kernel usually looks for init in /sbin /etc and /bin, but if there is
    >no init in those locations, /bin/sh is looked for as a last resort.

    >I am assuming that you have an init on your system, but something is

    Perhaps. It may be the kernel.

    Using init=/bin/sh will allow you to use the shell as the init
    >process, which proves it's an init problem.

    I did it but to no avail... Alas Mandrake sucks :-)

    >> I accidentally compiled initrd in, but ive got it off
    >> with "noinitrd".
    >I don't really understand what you're trying to do.

    Ok John, I'll put it simply, Im trying to compile a 2.5.* kernel. ;-)

    Once ive got a 2.5.* series kernel to work on my machine, I've
    decided to download .66 when I can get the one Ive got now to compile.

    Ok John, calm down you seem a bit agitated :-)
    Maybe you've been talking to Andre ;-)
    Cheers, Dean.
    No Warrantee for incorrectness, political or otherwise,
    after all, Dubya doesn't have one...

    One of 4 members of the board of DM. TECH.
    a.k.a. Everybody at DM. TECH's Boss.
    Member of ATI Open Source development project.
    NDA's signed to date = 29.
    Number of people who've blocked me = priceless.

    Check out the new EudoraMail at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.036 / U:322.492 seconds]