SubjectRe: 2.4.21-rc1-ac2 Promise IDE DMA won't work
Date
> On Monday 28 April 2003 09:58 pm, Andre Hedrick wrote:
>> NO ATAPI DMA!
>>
>> I will not write the driver core to attempt to support the various
>> combinations. The ATAPI DMA engine space is used support 48bit.
>> Use the onboard controller for ATAPI.
>> Andre Hedrick
>> LAD Storage Consulting Group
>
> Can I object that it came built onto the board? okok... i'll take that
> as a no for now...
>
>> Tho i'm still not quite sure how it makes a diff to be honest, unless
>> you mean that the Promise and HPT will never be supported for DMA?
>>
>> and the only other thing i should say is that altho i'm not exactly a
>> n00b, the average user WILL expect it to work.
>>
>> can i expect this to be fixed by 2.6? (yeah, i know... 2.4-ac-ide
>>code is similar to 2.5-ide code)
>> --
>> tabris

>The point is that you should put your ATAPI device (in this case the
>cd-rom)
>on the VIA controllers, and place the hdd's on the promise controller,
>since dma is supported for hdd's...

>This is also their intended primary functions by the manufacturers...,
>for example the HPT370 controller with bios version >1.1.x.xxx does
>not have ATAPI support (atleast officially, I haven't tried it)
>

>Thomas

So, are you telling me that DMA for both my hard drives, and my CD-R/Ws
will work, if i put my HDs on the PDC20265 controller, and my CD-R/W on
the VIA?

or will i lose DMA on the hard drives in this way, losing performance?

the second solution, tho one _I_ could probably live with, is still a
problem, especially for those of us who want to sell GNU/Linux to our
customers as a 'better' solution.

btw, please cc: me in your replies, as I no longer am able to subscribe
to the linux-kernel list. this reply i had to hack by hand from
marc.theaimsgroup

--
tabris
-