SubjectRe: Swap Compression
Why keep a fixed page size?  A 4k page can be represented by an
N bit offset in the swap partition (32 for 4 gig or less) and a 13 bit
length description. Let's not go with the overhead of 13 bit; 16 bit
lengths. Something divisible by two. Sure, we gain what
4 + 2 == 6 bytes per page, but we compress out more than that in
most cases (in theory).

and as for RAM, I really prefer the user to control swap-on-ram, and
to have it implimented as such. 4 meg'ers might try SoR but it may
hurt. The kernel should default to using the RAM swap as its primary
swap partition though. Why make extra overhead chopping up and
reassembling pages? We did that with compression.

--Bluefox Icy
(Well that's my opinion)