SubjectRe: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]
Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> writes:

> My message was that instead of sitting around copying other people's
> programs, it would be far more interesting if the open source community
> came up with original works on their own. That's how you win. It's a
> lot more work but when you win, you really win. In the copying model,
> you are always playing catchup to the leader.
>
> By the way, I wouldn't object to the copying so much if I didn't see it
> as a threat to the open source community itself. I take the long view
> which says that if you look far enough out, if the open source community
> is successful enough, there won't be anything left to copy.

I have to laugh because of a conversation I recently had with the Intel
BIOS guys. I was describing some of the more important features of
LinuxBIOS and they said: "Yeah we are working on that..."

Copying goes both ways.

Eric

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans