    SubjectRe: [Lse-tech] Re: maximum possible memory limit ..
    On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 05:16:49PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Nobody is doing that. pgcl is 2.5 only and seems to be still quite instable.
    > Also it's extremly intrusive.

    Unfortunately true. For all the merits of the technique itself, I'm not
    hugh, and my results are proportionally less impressive.

    That said, the intrusiveness aspect is easily dealt with as the patch
    itself is very easy to chop into small pieces and merge incrementally.

    I'd also say my progress toward stabilization is steady, though, of
    course, things are by no means perfect.

    At this point I'm literally more concerned about cleanliness than pure
    stability, as the stability aspects lacking appear to be related
    primarily to sweeping through code I can't regularly test anyway. After
    that, of course, due diligence demands the driver sweeps etc. be
    carried out before fully merging, but it's ultimately busywork. Not to
    say it's any less essential, for a kernel would be useless without
    drivers, but that's what it is.

    If this is not your experience, I'd love to hear things like bugreports
    and so on. Whatever feedback I can get I'd be very grateful for. I feel
    that the highmem emphasis of my own particular effort has marginalized
    the patch, and no one's really trying it out for things like large fs
    blocksize and the linear space reductions and speedups. Of course, that
    may be partially due to the fact I've not merged some of the things
    needed to properly combat fragmentation into the patch, but those will
    be taken care of in the next 72-96 hours (if they're not and I can't
    write about them ajh will strangle me, but I've already taken care of
    most of it anyway, and just haven't posted a release with the stuff).

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.022 / U:1.676 seconds]