    SubjectRe: [RFD] Combined fork-exec syscall.
    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Mark Grosberg wrote:

    > I would think on large, multi-user systems that are spawning processes all
    > day, this might improve performance if the shells on such a system were
    > patched.

    more relevant is a large multithreaded (or async model with many
    connections per thread/process) webserver spawning cgi. otherwise you pay
    the costs of duplicating the mm and even if you use F_CLOEXEC (which has a
    cost-per-connection) you have to pay for scanning the open fds.

    if you look at such webservers they tend to have a separate process just
    for the purpose of spawning cgi/etc. and use some IPC to pass the data to
    the cgi spawner.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.019 / U:113.184 seconds]