SubjectRe: Re: Swap Compression
On Sat, 26 April 2003 22:24:04 -0400, rmoser wrote:

> So what's the best way to do this? I was originally thinking like this:
>
> Grab some swap data
> Stuff it into fcomp_push()
> When you have 100k of data, seal it up
> Write that 100k block

I would like something like this:

/* fox_compress
* @input: Pointer to uncompressed data
* @output: Pointer to buffer
* @inlen: Size of uncompressed data
* @outlen: Size of the buffer
*
* Return:
* 0 on successful compression
* -Esomething on error
*
* Side effects:
* Output buffer is filled with random data after an error
* condition or the compressed input data on success.
* outlen remains unchanged on error and holds the compressed
* data size on success
*
* If the output buffer is too small, this is an error.
*/
int fox_compress(unsigned char *input, unsigned char *output,
uint32_t inlen, uint32_t *outlen);

/* fox_decompress
* see above, basically
*/
int fox_decompress(unsigned char *input, unsigned char *output,
uint32_t inlen, uint32_t *outlen);

Then the mm code can pick any useful size for compression.

Jörn

--
My second remark is that our intellectual powers are rather geared to
master static relations and that our powers to visualize processes