SubjectRe: ChangeLog suggestion

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Zack Brown wrote:

> I'm not familiar with your scripts, but I'd be surprised if this were very
> difficult to implement.

Well, the scripts can take it, but quite frankly I'd rather not clutter
the changelogs up with crud that really doesn't matter.

The thing is, the stuff that already _is_ in the changelog is certainly
enough to identify the email if you just have a reasonable search engine.
You have author, comments and diff, and if that isn't enough to identify
the thing then something is wrong.

Also, _most_ of the patches by far end up coming as personal emails, and
while they have often shown up on linux-kernel in _some_ way, it won't be
the same email that got sent to me. The email that showed up on the
mailing list will often have been of the type "please test this out and if
it works for you I'll send it to Linus", or it will have been posted by
the original author and then the actual patch made it to me either through
somebody elses BK tree _or_ through a person like Andrew Morton or Alan
Cox.

In other words, what you ask for is ugly (yes, I actually look at the
output of "bk changes") _and_ not very useful.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.083 / U:0.148 seconds]