SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
Date
> > I'd like to see an x86 completely in perf board. I thought my high
> > school digital electronics type stuff looked bad...
>
> You could do it nowadays using dynamic binary translation, and an
> absurdly simple CPU capable of accessing a large memory. You'd need a
> DIMM for the large memory, but get away with discrete logic for the
> CPU if you really wanted to.
>
> At perf board sizes using discrete logic, expect it run run quite slow :)

Could we not take this idea to it's logical extreme, and simply
calculate the results of every opcode, on every value, for every state
of all of the registers, and store them in an array of DIMMs, and
simply look up the necessary results? I.E. a cpu which is one _huge_
look up table :-).

John.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.148 / U:0.144 seconds]