    SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
    Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
    > On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 21:12, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > > Because the only kernels that ISPs accept connections from are signed
    > > and encrypted by the computer vendor - which means you _cannot_ trust
    > > those kernels to not contain back doors.
    >
    > ah, you want to put apache with mod_ssl into the kernel (now that we
    > have CONFIG_CRYPTO), including the code to check for client certificates
    > and the CA certificate itself? You are very welcome to do so, the GPL
    > allowes this.
    >
    > Still as you can see, that can also be done in userspace.

    Eh? The chain of trust can be extended to userspace too.

    > Maybe you forget "and I cannot replace the kernel but I want to"?
    > Now this is not very new: I cannot replace my BIOS either.
    > Or in fact we could do both, it's merely the same. The hardware
    > can make it difficult, but still it is a hardware issue, right?

    Indeed, and I enjoy reverse engineering :)

    I don't enjoy reverse engineering encryption chips with embedded keys
    though. That's out of my economic reach, not to mention that much as
    I love the idea of being arse-raped daily (i.e. in prison) I don't
    fancy the diseases that come with it, nor the shitty dinner menu.

    > Maybe it's not such a bad idea to have two computers. One for
    > entertainment, online banking and digital video rental and stuff
    > like this where you deal with the paranoid and let them waste their
    > money on expensive hardware. And one for real work.

    Just like we have to have two computers now - one to exchange
    documents with other people (Windows + Office) - another to do real
    work?

    Sounds great... um.

    (Ok, ok, Office isn't such a big deal any more. (Although even now I
    have Word docs that don't work in Openoffice, KOffice or Abiword)).

    Ok, I relent. I suppose it _is_ reasonable that I have one computer I
    can run my choice of programs on and a different one that is capable
    of connecting to the 2010 Internet.

    > CDBTPA? I read "Argh Anonymous" detailed analysis on cypherpunks,
    > and I recommend it to you, too.
    >
    > www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.15-2002.07.21/msg00225.html

    Thanks for the link. Sadly the article seems to have gone missing :)

    > If you have other sources that also know facts,
    > please let me know. They seem kind of rare these days.

    Fair point.

    I speak about what this stuff _could_ be used for, as a general
    warning to be diligent, rather than what is planned right now.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.025 / U:31.792 seconds]