SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> > Also that day, that same article doesn't load from Al-Jazeera or
> > anywhere else, on the PC you bought from the only affordable store in
> > town.
>
> ah, myth. please dig into the tcpa spec and quote where you find
> anything that provides substance for that. possible? even today without
> tcpa or DRM or anything like that.

<paranoid>
There is nothing in the tcpa spec, they'd be foolish to put the _real_
agenda in the spec wouldn't they? :)
</paranoid>

> but why does DRM or TCPA make this easier or harder to work around?

Because the only kernels that ISPs accept connections from are signed
and encrypted by the computer vendor - which means you _cannot_ trust
those kernels to not contain back doors.

> if we could asure that DRM would only be used in 0.1% of all computer
> uses, then banks and stuff could use it, maybe even that digitial video
> rental using the internet (they already do, but without hardware
> support), and everyone else will not. I don't see the problem with
> some uses, but with everyone using it.

The question is, if it is widely implemented in available hardware,
_will_ everyone be using it whether they want to or not?

Also, what about the law? Remember, there have been attempts in the
last year, in the US, to legislate DRM into all computers.

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.215 / U:0.256 seconds]