SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Just like most vendors instinctively default to closed source.

Quite. Businesses instinctively do what they believe is in their best
interests, and sometimes it is important to have constraints which
cause businesses to function in our mutual best interest, which
businesses are often not well placed to perceive.

> It's also worth to keep in mind that such decisions are frequently
> taken by people with very different agendas, e.g. if "protected by
> DRM" is perceived to appeal to analysts, shareholders or potential
> shareholders, it may quickly become policy in many companies, just
> like patents did.

In this regard, analysts, shareholders, consumers etc. are just like
business, acting in their own percieved best interest.

Change the rules against the status quo and they all complain, but it
is just change and they also all adapt to it. That is business too.

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:1.468 / U:0.060 seconds]