    SubjectRe: Fix SWSUSP & !SWAP
    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:16:48 +1200 Nigel Cunningham <> wrote:

    | On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 12:17, CaT wrote:
    | > I'm curious. What does a swapfile solve that a swapdev does not? Either
    | > way you need to prealloc the case (either have a chunky file in a
    | > partition or a partition set aside) or you need to keep enough room
    | > avail to fit the file when it's needed.
    | Nothing but further bloat in swsusp :> With a swapfile, we need to know
    | the location of the file (and be able to find it again when it changes,
    | and know how to find the next block in the file system - it might be
    | fragmented). The simplest solution is to keep using the current method
    | and create a separate swap partition if you really feel you need to,
    | only turning it on before swap and turning if off afterwards. As Pavel
    | said, code could be added to get swsusp to do it itself.

    That may be simple for you, but for lots of users, adding a partition
    (to a ususally full disk drive) isn't simple. It means backups,
    shrink a filesystem, shrink a partition, add a partition, and run
    mkswap on it. Yes, the latter 2 are simple, but the former ones
    are not.

    Oh, and then just start over and install everything from backups. :(

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:34.816 seconds]