SubjectRe: objrmap and vmtruncate

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:31:49AM -0400, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> if the present bit is clear then the remaining 63 bits are documented by
> Intel as being software-available, so this all works just fine.

Sorry; I should have caught that from the standard docs; I was over-
anticipating something involving valid PTE's.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>> Getting the things out of lowmem sounds very interesting, although I
>> vaguely continue to wonder about the total RAM overhead. ISTR an old 2.4
>> benchmark run on PAE x86 where 90+% of physical RAM was consumed by
>> pagetables _after_ pte_highmem (where before the kernel dropped dead).

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:31:49AM -0400, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> just create a sparse enough memory layout (one page mapped every 2MB) and
> pagetable overhead will dominate. Is it a problem in practice? I doubt it,
> and you get what you asked for, and you can always offset it with RAM.

Actually it wasn't from sparse memory, it was from massive sharing.
Basically 10000 processes whose virtualspace was dominated by shmem
shared across all of them.

On some reflection I suspect a variety of techniques are needed here.

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>> Well, the already-existing pagetable overhead is not insignificant. It's
>> somewhere around 3MB on lightly-loaded 768MB x86-32 UP, which is very
>> close to beginning to swap.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 10:31:49AM -0400, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> 3MB might sound alot. Companion pagetables will make that 9MB on non-PAE.
> (current pte chains should make that roughly 6MB on average) 9MB is 1.1%
> of all RAM. 4K granular mem_map[] is 1.5% cost, and even there it's not
> mainly the RAM overhead that hurts us, but the lowmem overhead.
> (btw., the size of companion pagetables is likely reduced via pgcl as well
> - they need to track the VM units of pages, not the MMU units of pages.)

Well, the thing is pte_chains are O(utilized_ptes) so it ends up being
around 3MB + 3/5MB == 3.6MB. I've gone and applied the objrmap and
anobjrmap patches (despite the worst case behavior) and the space
savings are very noticeable and very beneficial, though still not as
good as with shpte which cut the sum of the two to well under 2MB.

Also, I'd be _very_ careful when claiming pgcl can offer space
reductions here. Page clustering involves the core VM understanding
that pieces of pages can be scattered about, with anonymous pages in
particularly arbitrary scatter/gather relationships. This breaks the
very assumption people are making when assuming page clustering can
save pte_chain space: that physical contiguity within an anonymous
software page can be exploited to infer small scanning regions to
recover multiple pte's from a single pointer. This is not the case.

For anonymous memory alone (which has been the sole usage of pte_chains
in -mm kernels for some time) the pte_chain space is 5MB except under
the heaviest of memory pressure, where things are temporarily reaped
down to under 100KB. The arbitrary relationship of anonymous pages to
virtual offsets in the presence of page clustering means that most (not
all, but high unpredictability) pte_chains must be retained for them.

At the very least I'd like to have the public opinion on the impact of
page clustering on pte_chain space downgraded from "improvement" to
"no effect whatsoever". My own experience shows:

HighTotal: 65198080 kB
HighFree: 60631808 kB
LowTotal: 751872 kB
LowFree: 25152 kB

dentry_cache 295889K 390350K 75.80%
ext2_inode_cache 260442K 268617K 96.96%
buffer_head 799K 1868K 42.79%
size-8192 1760K 1856K 94.83%
size-1024 1737K 1767K 98.30%
pae_pmd 604K 1152K 52.43%
biovec-BIO_MAX_PAGES 768K 780K 98.46%
size-2048 612K 690K 88.70%
size-512 503K 535K 93.93%
size-64 270K 450K 59.93%
task_struct 310K 428K 72.50%
biovec-128 384K 409K 93.77%
blkdev_requests 396K 404K 98.02%
inode_cache 352K 375K 93.96%
size-4096 168K 256K 65.62%
mm_struct 19K 250K 7.95%
pte_chain 75K 227K 33.25%
proc_inode_cache 72K 220K 32.65%
biovec-64 192K 220K 87.07%
size-256 162K 218K 74.40%
radix_tree_node 121K 218K 55.63%
sighand_cache 160K 215K 74.40%
filp 38K 186K 20.60%

under light load. I don't trust this to mean much.

Basically, I have _very_ good reasons to believe even after the
discussed potential pte_chain space optimizations page clustering
enables are implemented they will not be highly effective and won't
provide a generally applicable solution to the pte_chain space problem.

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.143 / U:0.196 seconds]