    SubjectRE: [patch] printk subsystems
    Date
    > From: H. Peter Anvin [mailto:hpa@zytor.com]
    >
    > Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
    > >
    > > Hey! Come on! You don't think I am that lame, do you? Man what
    > > a fame I do have!
    > >
    > > Before the device vaporizes, it recalls the message, so there is
    > > no message to read - the same way you take away the sysfs data from
    > > the sysfs tree ...
    >
    > If you think that will happen with printk(), then, quite frankly, you're
    > seriously deluded.

    I am kind of deluded, that's for sure. And sore too, but that's another one.

    I tend to agree with you; however, it can be done. You would need to adapt
    a circular buffer to work with kue. Not a big deal though - just an space
    allocator (that would recall the oldest messages if in need of space) and
    the
    'destructor' would just clear the space.

    If I get to modify the code to make the destructor thing work (any of these
    days), then it will be possible to do it without modifying kue at all.

    Now that I think about it, it would work - but I don't think it'd be
    really worth it (the per-message overhead would be big for printk,
    I'd say). For the record, I really think relayfs could be a better
    answer [with the limited reading that so far I had about it].

    Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
    (and my fault)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.062 / U:9.564 seconds]