    SubjectRe: Are linux-fs's drive-fault-tolerant by concept?
    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:13:53 +0200
    Jos Hulzink <> wrote:

    > [...]
    > Fault tolerance in a filesystem layer means in practical terms that you are
    > guessing what a filesystem should look like, for the disk doesn't answer that
    > question anymore. IMHO you don't want that to be done automagically, for it
    > might go right sometimes, but also might trash everything on RW filesystems.

    Let me clarify again: I don't want fancy stuff inside the filesystem that
    magically knows something about right-or-wrong. The only _very small_
    enhancement I would like to see is: driver tells fs there is an error while
    writing a certain block => fs tries writing the same data onto another block.
    That's it, no magic, no RAID stuff. Very simple.

    > Fault tolerance OK, but the fs layer should only detect errors reported by
    > the lower level drivers and handle them gracefully (which is something that
    > might need impovement a little for some fs drivers), or else trust the data
    > it gets.

    You are completely right, I don't want any more: nice management of an error a
    low-level driver reports to the fs. Only I would like to see as an fs-answer to
    this: ok, let's try another part of the media. Currently it just sinks like

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.023 / U:0.028 seconds]